Small things that make life easier: attach Visual studio debugger to multiple processes

Hello again.

Today a really small post from me about a really simple thing i found out today. Ofcourse a lot of people know this but i also know lots of people dont know this while you are using it quite often. When you are developing for SharePoint for example you’ll have to debug by attaching your debugger to the right w3wp.exe process. When i did this i always selected 1 and hoped it was the right one. Today i was debugging together with a collegue and then he selected more processes at once and i was like *DOH*!!!

This discovery can save a lot of time if you always pick the wrong w3wp.exe process like i did :)

so for everyone who didnt know this use this option from now on. I will do it for sure!

 

Geert van der Cruijsen

Share on Facebook
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Post on Twitter

Microsoft releases beta versions of IE8 and Silverlight 2.0 at MIX 08

Today Microsoft launched the public beta of Internet Explorer 8 at MIX’08. As i posted in a blogposting yesterday the big change in Internet Explorer 8 is the render engine which is running in “super standard mode” instead of quirks mode that IE7 uses. You can download the public beta here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/default.mspx

One thing microsoft learned about the release of IE7 was that after the first Beta release of IE7 there were so many reactions, complaints and idea’s send by people that it was almost undoable to do something with all the input. With this release of IE8 Microsoft opened up there bug database to the public so everyone can see the known bugs and people can even help prioritize these bugs.

One of the new feature in IE8 apart from the render engine is the use of “webslices” (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/ie8/webslices.mspx) these webslices look like a sort of rss technology where you can subscribe yourself to a part of a website instead of an rss feed and the webslice technology will let you know when the data changed.

Microsoft also released the beta of Silverlight 2.0. Scott Guthrie made a nice post about that on his blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/02/22/first-look-at-silverlight-2.aspx

There are also some nice video’s on the website of MIX 08. These video’s and part of the website are made with silverlight 1.0 so check it out:

mix website: http://visitmix.com/2008/default.aspx

mix videos: http://sessions.visitmix.com/

Geert van der Cruijsen

Share on Facebook
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Post on Twitter

Changing the “object reference not set to an instance of an object” Exception in BizUnit 2.3 for Biztalk 2006

Lately I’ve been working with BizUnit 2.3 to create Unit tests for the Orchestrations we’ve build in BizTalk 2006 at our current customer.

BizUnit 2.3 is an opensource project on CodePlex (http://www.codeplex.com/bizunit ) to help you make the testing of these orchestrations easier. I’ve noticed that when you create a validation step and try to do a check with an xpath query you can get weird errors when the element you are looking for doesn’t exists.The Exception you’ll receive will be: 

 

object reference not set to an instance of an object

This Error doesn’t really say what is going wrong in your test report and that’s because the application isn’t throwing an ApplicationException but the code right in front of it will go wrong because checknode is null and BizUnit is trying to compare the checknode.InnerText.What I did was change the code in the XmlValidationStep.cs so it will give a nice ApplicationException when the element you are trying to check doesn’t exist in the xml file you are checking.The changes I made to the code are written down here and should be inserted into XmlValidationStep.cs in the BizUnit 2.3 project

 

string xpathExp = xpath.SelectSingleNode(“@query”).Value;
XmlNode valNode = xpath.SelectSingleNode(“.”);
string nodeValue = valNode.InnerText;
context.LogInfo(“XmlValidationStep evaluting XPath {0} equals \”{1}\”", xpathExp, nodeValue );
XmlNode checkNode = null;

try
{
  checkNode = doc.SelectSingleNode(xpathExp);
}
catch
{ }
if
(checkNode != null)
{

  if
(0 != nodeValue.CompareTo(checkNode.InnerText))
  {
    throw new ApplicationException(string.Format(“XmlValidationStep failed, compare {0} != {1}, xpath query used: {2}”, nodeValue, checkNode.InnerText, xpathExp));
  }
}
else

{
  throw new ApplicationException(string.Format(“XmlValidationStep failed, no element found, xpath query used: {0}”, xpathExp));
} 

Hope this will help you understand the errors you get while testing with BizUnit on your project! 

Geert van der Cruijsen

 

 

Share on Facebook
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Post on Twitter

Internet Explorer 8 will render with ‘super standard mode’

Today Microsoft promised Internet Explorer 8 will use the ‘super standard mode’  rendering mode by standard instead of the IE7 version ‘Quirks mode’ that was planned earier.

Because of this People will be forced using the W3C standards OR add a special tag so the browser knows it should render the page in IE7 mode. Hopefully this will help to have 1 standard html which every browser will show the same way. More information about this: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/03/03/microsoft-s-interoperability-principles-and-ie8.aspx 

With this change IE8 will be able to pass the ACID2 test but guess what the “Web Standards Project” released the ACID3 test today which is supposed to test Ajax and other dynamic content in browsers. IE7 get’s a score of 5 out of 100 while FireFox is getting the current best score with 50/100. Still a long way to go for every browser to pass this test. You can find the test and more information here: http://www.webstandards.org/action/acid3/

 

Geert van der Cruijsen

Share on Facebook
Kick It on DotNetKicks.com
Shout it
Post on Twitter